Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ageing Gacefully

Last month my sister, affectionately known as my "West Coast Promoter," forwarded an e-mail to me with the following web site attached, Girlfriends in God.   The article "How to Stay Young," by Mary Southerland contained many of my beliefs about ageing gracefully.

I especially liked her sentiments regarding the here and now. Simply stated Southerland writes "I believe if you are alive, God has a purpose and plan for your life. Give yourself a pat on the back for your survival skills. Take a few moments to reflect on your life and don't get hung up on what might have been. Celebrate what is and what will be."

Most of the article warns against lamenting over things you can't change. She believes as I "Don't." Mary Southerland offers a Christian view and belief in God to reflect on one's life past, present, and future. Christianity may be the vehicle used by Mary, but most importantly, what vehicle are you using?

She offers eighteen steps to remaining young. Those you can search out for yourself. I want to concentrate on the following reflections shared in her article:

"1. Who or what is stealing the joy from your life?
  2. What circumstance are you facing that you need to see through God's eyes and boldly trust Him for?
  3. Look around. What can you find in your life to celebrate?
  4. Are you living out God's purpose for your life or are you bowing to the wrong audience and listening to the wrong voices?"

Being the wife of a minister, Mary Southerland recommends seeking your answers by building a relationship with God. How do you choose to celebrate life?

1 comment:

  1. I love this message and as I'm aging gracefully I give all my thanks the My Heavenly father first because I know without my belief in him.I would have been gone along time ago.I truly believe that he have a purpose for me and I will fulfill that purpose with pride and grace.Before I go to sleep and when I wake up I thank the Lord for just letting me open my eyes and close my eyes knowing that his arms are around me.I don't get hung up on what might have been but I often think about where I was and where I am now.I will never forget everything that I have been through that is whats making the strong independent go-getter that I am now.All I can say is THANK YOU JESUS FOR LOVING ME

    ReplyDelete