Monday, January 30, 2012

Seven Deadly Sins

Research is a B-otch!  While reviewing The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People I came across the "Seven Deadly Sins" by Mahatma Gandhi.  These seven sins were different then the sins I had heard about all my Christian life.  However, references were made to them in one of my catholic church's web site.  This made me wonder how they might be related.  Is there a correlation?

It is amazing how research can consume you.  This week-end I was even entertained  by the movie "Se7en," made in 1995, starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt where they investigate a serial murderer who commits his crimes based on his interpretation of the "Seven Deadly Sins." (Christian List) 

Intrigue is a definite culprit, but here I am trying to decipher the puzzle.  Below are listed these two sets of "Deadly Sins."  I think it would be easier to let you decide for your self.  I need to get back to the seven habits.

Christian List based on Greek Philosophy
(Definitions from dictionary.com)

1.  Greed - excessive or rapacious desire, especially for wealth or possessions.
2.  Lust -   intense sexual desire or appetite.
3.  Pride - a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority,   
                   whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
4.  Envy - a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages,         
                  success, possessions, etc.
5.  Anger - a strong feeling of displeasure and belligerence aroused by a wrong; wrath; ire.
6.  Gluttony - excessive eating and drinking.
7.  Sloth - habitual disinclination to exertion; indolence; laziness.

Mahatma Gandhi 

No comments:

Post a Comment